- Hip Flexors (Rectus Femoris, Psoas Major, Psoas Minor & Iliacus muscles)
- Hip flexion and controls hip extension
- Place your hands on your hips & lunge forward keeping both feet facing in the direction of the stretch
- Slowly lean back until a stretch is felt on the front of the rear thigh
- Hold for 10-30 seconds & repeat 3 times or as instructed by the physiotherapist or fitness instructor
- To prevent muscle imbalance, always stretch both sides
Physiotherapy, Injury Prevention & Fitness Recommendations:
- Avoid bouncing when the muscle is cold
- Stop if the stretch causes pain
- Perform the stretch in a safe environment to avoid the risk of a fall or injury
- Recommended stretch for use within a warm-up or cool down
- Tight hip flexors may contribute to biomechanical injuries, lower limb problems or low back pain
- As instructed by a skilled physiotherapist, the stretch is beneficial for injury prevention, to aid recovery from specific injuries, enhancement of the injury healing process, elongates tight muscles, reduces soft tissue tightness and alleviates joint stiffness.
Please feel free to contact the Manchester G4 Clinic to speak to a member of the team for any questions that you may have.