Congratulations on completing your recent half marathon. Finishing the race and being rewarded with the finishing medal is a great achievement which you can treasure for the rest of your lives!
Below are a few tips and advice protocols to help promote an efficient full recovery and enable a swift return back to running and further training regimes:
- Apply the recommended immediate treatment guidelines to any injuries sustained during the run – R.I.C.E. principle;
- Treat yourself to a sports remedial massage to help promote recovery and relieve tight or sore muscles and joints (Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness – DOM’s);
- Treat all foot blisters or broken skin correctly to avoid the risk of infection;
- Replenish the body with plenty of water and other fluids to chemically re-balance the body’s chemical composition following fluid and salt depletion experienced during the run;
- Replenish the body with the correct nutrients; include a high intake of carbohydrates to resupply the muscle glycogen stores & consume an adequate increased load of protein to allow the body tissues to repair and regenerate;
- Conduct gentle joint and muscle range of movement stretches to help alleviate any soft tissue tightness and joint stiffness;
- In conjunction with a stretching programme, gentle cardiovascular exercise with help to increase circulation to the fatigued and depleted muscles to help stimulate recovery and rejuvenation;
- Seek a skilled physiotherapist with knowledge of running & biomechanical injuries to assist with any injuries sustained in the run or experienced during the previous training months;
- Finally, be proud of yourself – well done!
Please feel free to contact the Manchester G4 Clinic to speak to a member of the team for any questions that you may have.